Suspects in Holly Bobo murder case ask judge to drop charges over lack of evidence
Attorneys for two men charged with kidnapping and murdering Holly Bobo are asking for those charges to be dismissed, citing lack of evidence.
WTVF-TV reports the motion by the attorneys for Zach Adams and Jason Autry states that they have yet to receive “dental records analysis and forensic studies” of a skull that law enforcement says is Bobo’s.
“It would appear to me if they had a skull with a dental match they would have given that to us right away. It’s a little suspicious why we don’t have that forensic information,” Autry’s attorney Fletcher Long told the station.
Adams has been in jail since March and Autry has been in jail since April. At a court hearing on December 17, Decatur County Circuit Judge Creed McGinley expressed concern that prosecutors had not yet provided key evidence to defense attorneys. He ordered the state to begin turning it over by December 24.
Long says the state has missed that deadline.
He says he has received nothing linking the suspects to a homicide.
“It would seem to me in a murder case the first thing they would want to give us is proof that someone has been killed,” Long said.
The motion filed by the attorneys accuses the state of “silence or stonewalling.” It asks that the charges be dismissed. Short of that, it asks the judge to sanction the state and order it to pay the defense team’s fees for being forced to file and argue the motion.
McGinley said at the December hearing that he had been patient with the prosecution because a new district attorney general, Matt Stowe, had just been elected in September. However, McGinley warned that he would not stand for more delays in the case.